Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Well hello!

KJ Grapes

I had such an excellent time on vacation. It's the first time in a long time that I've had more than 3 consecutive days off from work, so it was definitely a well needed time.

The purpose of the trip was to attend my uncle's wedding in San Bernadino. It was a lovely affair, despite being an outdoor wedding on a day the thermometer hit 122 degrees. Seriously, do you have any idea how hot that is?? I felt rather lucky, however, that I was able to get away with just a simple dress and sandals as opposed to the 3-piece suits the groomsmen were wearing.

Although it was great to see family, the highlight of my trip was definitely the time we spent in San Francisco and the Napa Valley. Although I'm originally from Southern California, I've never been to the Northern parts of it. I was thoroughly enchanted with it, and fell truly, madly, and deeply in love with it.

Hook and Ladder

I didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted in the Napa Valley, but I did hit a few vineyards and did some wine tasting. I tasted quite a few excellent wines, and wished I had more room in my luggage to bring home more than 3 bottles.

All in all, it was a fabulous trip. I took far less pictures that I thought I would. I blame it on being so friggin' hot. But I'll leave you with one of my most favorite pictures from the trip. This is a little girl we saw at one of the In-N-Out Burger joints we stopped at. (BTW, the vegetarian "Grilled Cheese" they make is quite outstanding) Check out what she has tucked into her pocket.

Little Lady Handgun

I like to call this picture "You know you're in LA when...."

I'll see you tomorrow with something tasty!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in the Napa Valley. Isn't it wonderful? I think that it is at its best in fall - like, October. If you ever get the chance to go back, go then. Where did you eat while you were there?

Kalyn Denny said...

Does she really have a gun in her pocket? Now that is just sad if it is.

NWJR said...

Welcome back...

Harmonia said...

Those grapes are lovely and the kids look adorable! Happy Wednesday!

Harmonia said...

OMG! I just looked at that again and saw the gun! ek! Okay...I'll rack that up as my blonde moment of the day. Sorry.

theONLYtania said...

I'm hoping that's a water gun or something!

Dr. Melissa West said...

Welcome back. I've missed your posts.

I too hope that is a water gun... nonetheless it is pretty scary that it looks so much like a real gun... why not buy her a brightly coloured water gun so that it looks like a toy and not the real thing?

liz said...

welcome back ! so glad you had a nice vacation !!

Anonymous said...

Really?? OMG, it couldn't be a real gun, could it? I just don't even know what to say about that.

jasmine said...

Welcome back!

Love the photo of the grapes.

When I first saw the picture of the girl, I only quickly glanced at it and thought it was a Blackberry...now that I've taken a closer look...eek!

j

Fiber said...

Laura - since we were with family, we didn't get to eat at as many places as I would have liked. Next time I go, though, I have quite a few places on my list I have to try! Any recommendations??

Everyone else, thanks for the warm welcome back.

I have to agree - I was completely shocked when I saw it. I'm sure it wasn't real, but it still presents a scary picture, doesn't it?? The weird thing was that she kept resting her hand on the butt of it when she would walk, and kep readjusting it. It was definitely interesting to say the least.....

Anonymous said...

Mmm! Yes! Recommendations...

St. Helena
- Taylor's Refresher (chocolate shake, garlic fries, bleu cheese veggie burger)
- The place across Hwy 29 from Taylors - used to be Tomatinas, but don't remember what foofy name they call it now. Get a Piadine (salad wrapped in a thin crust pizza)
- Breakfast at Gillwoods (get there early on the weekend)
- Lunch at Guigni's (make sure you buy a bottle of Guigni juice to bring home!)
- Tra Vigne, if you must be fancy
- Napa Valley Olive Oil Manufacturing Company (just up Charter Oak St. from Tra Vigne) for all your picnicking needs (it's like walking into a Tuscan family-run shop)
- Morning Bunz at the Model Bakery (and bread for your picnics)
- Desserts at the CIA
- Farmer's Market in Crane Park on Friday mornings (through Oct.)


Calistoga
- Puerto Vallarta (hole-in-the-wall fish tacos and a cold Negra Modelo)
- Cafe Sarafornia for breakfast

Rutherford
- Rutherford Grill (awesome vegetarian platter and cornbread. I love their baby back ribs, too...tee hee)

Napa
- Burrito from one of the taco trucks on Soscol Ave. (don't be scared; they're sanitary, really!)
- There used to be a great little tapas place on Main St. off of 3rd. Zuzu, I think it was called.
- PJ's Cafe is decent - cheap and good veggie options

Those are some of the old stand bys. So many of the restaurants up there turn over too fast too keep track of.