Thursday, August 17, 2006

Pickled Vegetables

Everybody Likes Sandwiches (great blog name, btw, because who doesn't like sandwiches) recently had a post about making refrigerator pickles. It immediately took my mind back to a recipe for pickled vegetables that I haven't made in a very long time.

Refrigerator pickles are one of those things that you don't normally make, but when you do, you remember how tasty they can be. This recipe was originally from Alton Brown, but of course I've made some changes. I think you'll find these tangy pickles just as addictive as I do. It's also going to help with some of that produce bounty that the end of summer brings.

Pickled Vegetables

Pickled Vegetables
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 kirby cucumber, 1/4" slices
8 oz baby carrots, cut in halves
4 cloves garlic, cut in halves
1 cup water
1/2 c white vinegar
1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 tbsp sea salt
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1/8 tsp turmeric
1 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp pickling spices
1 tsp peppercorns

Layer onion, cucumber, carrots, and garlic cloves in a large jar. Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 minutes. Slowly pour liquid over vegetables, filling to the top of the jar. Allow to cool, then top jar off with any remaining liquid. Refrigerate at least overnight before digging in (if you can).

11 comments:

Special Sauce said...

This is why you brought me your tumeric and mustard seeds, isn't it... :)

Yay! I've got all of this stuff, except the pickling spices!

Anonymous said...

Wow great picture. And nice shout out to my boy Alton Brown!

kickpleat said...

wow, pickles on a stick, hot damn! i love me some pickles and that recipe looks great.

Dr. Melissa West said...

Gorgeous Pickles! Love the photo!

Susan Voisin said...

What an excellent photo!

jasmine said...

Absolutely lovely photo!

j

Catherine said...

amazing photo!

Anonymous said...

That pic is mouth watering. Gotta have some - make some.

The Culinary Chase said...

I love refrigerator pickles......I grew up with my Mom making pickles and preserves (jams & jellies) every Fall. Great photo & the recipe is easy enough to make. Cheers!

Raspil said...

one of the BEST pickled veg i've ever had is whole pickled garlic cloves. they are sweet and tart and tangy. i could eat them like candy. too bad when making them you have to wait 3 weeks (or more) for their full flavor to come out. i have no patience!

Sandra said...

I didn't even think of that you can do those things by yourself..but of course you can. I will for sure try. Thanks for the idea.