Sunday, August 13, 2006

Spiced Soynuts

Soynuts are a great source of protein and a wonderful snacking idea. A half cup provides 7 grams of fiber and 34 grams of protein. I'm a huge fan of the seasoned and spicy soynuts I find in my health food store, but as I was reading the label, I discovered that egg whites are a common ingredient.

These are a great egg-free variation, and the spice possibilities are almost endless. And rather than heat up my kitchen with the oven on, I did these in a half batch in the toaster oven and they turned out marvelously. Warning - these can be extremely addictive.

Spiced Soynuts

Spiced Soynuts
2 cups roasted unsalted soynuts*
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon

In a bowl, stir soynuts and olive oil together. Place into a brown paper bag and shake with spices until well coated. Place into preheated oven and bake 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, pour onto a papertowel lined plate, and allow to cool. Store in airtight container.

*If you can only find salted soynuts, just use garlic powder in place of garlic salt.

7 comments:

Dr. Melissa West said...

What a fantastic idea! I have been wanting to get some new snack ideas. I will definitely try this one out. Thank you!

B said...

This looks great! And thanks for passing along that some roasted soybeans have egg whites in them, I never would have thought they'd use egg white in nuts!

Anonymous said...

Where did you find plain unroasted soynuts?

Fiber said...

Dragonslayer - I'm a huge salty snack person, so anytime I can get away with a healthy one, I'm game.

Kaji's mom - Yep. Egg whites are used to help adhere the spices to the nuts. But unless you'd read the ingredients, you'd have no idea.

Anon - I've seen roasted soynuts in a few places - at my local grocery stores, in the bulk food section of some, at my health food store, or you can order them online.

Anonymous said...

What a great alternative to pretzels! I recently got some frozen edamame for a change and now these soy nuts look like another good alternative -- with some protein in addition to the nice spices.

Anonymous said...

Those look great. I've had store bought ones before (Mighty Mo' Munchies brand) but these look even tastier. Thanks for the recipe.

MeloMeals said...

I was just thinking of something like this with wasabi and either soy or chickpeas.. but from the dried form of the bean..

I am addicted to Wasabi Peas.. but I hate paying big bucks for them and think I could make them healthier..