Monday, March 08, 2010

Hot Sauce Glazed Tempeh

I'm a huge fan of tempeh, although I don't use it enough. I probably make the Tempeh Buffalo Wings the most, but the "Thai Curry Tempeh Salad" is definitely a close second. I had given those recipes to a few friends of mine, who used tempeh for the first time and really loved it. They asked for more recipes using up tempeh, and since i'm always up for a culinary challenge, I agreed to find and post more.

When I'm looking for ideas for vegan recipes, Veganomicon is usually the first book I grab. It's got some really solid vegan recipes, and even non-vegans can find something delicious in the book to make. Although there are quite a few tempeh recipes within its pages, the Hot-Sauce Glazed Tempeh caught my eye.

It's tasty and easy to make, and definitely a great little tempeh recipe to add into your rotation. Instead of making it in triangle slabs like the recipe calls for, I instead just cut it into cubes, which were very easy to broil and get nice and crispy. So if you're looking for another tempeh recipe, I'd suggest giving this one a try!

Tempeh

Hot-Sauce Glazed Tempeh
a slight variation of Veganomicon's recipe
Serves 4


8 oz tempeh
1/2 c wine (i used a Chardonnay)
1/4 c Louisianna-style hot sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp cayenne

Bring 4 cups of water to boil over high heat. Meanwhile, remove tempeh from package. Cut into 1" cubes. Once water is boiling, lower heat to medium high, add tempeh, and boil for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.
In the meantime, whisk remaining ingredients together and pour in a large ziploc bag. Add tempeh cubes and place in refrigerator for as little as an hour or up to 2 days.
Preheat broiler in oven. Place drained tempeh cubes in oiled baking dish and place under broiler. Broil for 15-20 minutes, turning every few minutes and basting with remaining marinade, until cubes are crispy and heated through.
Serve and enjoy!

3 comments:

kickpleat said...

Yum, sounds so tasty! I bet you could do this nicely with tofu (which I have in the fridge). Will try it out this week.

Chris said...

yum! I began eating tempeh this summer and love finding new ways to prepare it. This sounds delish!

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Made this for my husband and me this weekend- really yummy! thanks!