Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chinese Takeout Night - Stirfry in Curry Sauce

I was on my way home from work tonight and was on the phone with my father. I passed a Chinese buffet and an intense craving for some takeout gripped me. But just as quickly and intense was the conversation I had just had 3 minutes before about the dip in pay I'd be taking after starting my new job on Monday and how I needed to refine my budget. I sadly continued on my way home, visions of takeout eggrolls and fried rice fading in my rear view mirror.

When I got home, I was sadly perusing my kitchen, when the inspiration to just make my own "takeout" struck me. I was thinking some sort of stirfry or lo mein, until the sad realization that out of the plentiful supply of Asian condiments that were stocked in my pantry, I was unbelievably out of soy sauce. I googled "stir fry no soy sauce" a few times, but nothing really caught my eye.

Just as I had decided to give up and eat some pretzels, memories of my second favorite Chinese takeout meal popped into my head - stirfried vegetables in curry sauce! I couldn't find anything like I wanted after a brief internet search, so just decided to see what I could come up with.

And boy, am I glad I did. This is almost exactly like the dish I've enjoyed so many times. The best part about it - it was literally ready to eat after 20 minutes. This recipe can easily be modified to include any vegetables or protein you have on hand, and with the quick ease of making this sauce, you can have your own Chinese takeout night any day of the week.

Stirfried Vegetables in Curry Sauce

Stirfry in Curry Sauce
Serves 4

5 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 red onion, cut into slivers
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 1/2 tbsp flour
2 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups warm water
1-2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
3-4 cups broccoli, cut into pieces
1 (8oz) pkg sliced baby bella mushrooms


In a large wok, heat 2 tbsp sesame oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and saute for another minute or so. In a small bowl, whisk flour and curry powder together. Add to wok and saute for 30-45 seconds, stirring continuously. Add chili powder and salt, and saute for another 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in water until well combined and thickened. Stir in chili garlic sauce. Pour sauce into a bowl and set aside.
After cleaning out wok, place back on medium high heat and add remaining sesame oil. Add broccoli and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute an additional 2-3 minutes. Pour sauce over vegetables and continue to saute for another minute or so, until well combined and heated through. Serve over rice or noodles.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I HAD to try this and I LOVED it! Thank you so much for the inspiration. I never know how to use spices or thicken sauces and it was fun trying something new today!

Shaheen said...

Wow, I am not a big fan of the Chinese take outs where I am, but your home-made version has bot my juices flowing.

Michelle said...

wow that curry looks awesome! I always am on the look out for new sauces to make my stir fry in!! I might have to add a little bit of coconut milk into this too to make it more thick and gooey!