Saturday, February 06, 2010

Brown Rice Salad with Orange Chipotle Vinaigrette

Well, it's official - I'm snowed in for the weekend. I'm not sure of the exact measurement of how much we got (and it's still snowing) but it's somewhere between over the knee and under the waist. That's a pretty scientific measurement, right?

There's nothing like having all day to be in the house, and it's given me a great opportunity to monkey around in the kitchen. I've got a huge stack of cookbooks next to me and a note pad absolutely covered with ideas, so today should be quite the productive day - foodwise, that is.

I've recently fallen back in love with brown rice. I picked up a gorgeous bag of some organic brown rice and wanted a fun, yet different way to use it, so rice salad it is.

This is a delicious salad. The dressing has just the right mixture of sweet and spicy, and combined with the heartiness of the rice and black beans, you have a salad that could easily stand on its own as the main event. This is also a great make ahead dish, so this is definitely one you may want to file away for future use when guests are coming over.

Brown Rice Salad with Orange Chipotle Vinaigrette

Brown Rice Salad with Orange Chipotle Vinaigrette
Serves 4-6

Vinaigrette
4 cups fresh orange juice
2 tsp pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (or more, should you really want to kick it up!)
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp agave nectar (or honey)

Salad
4 cups cooked and chilled brown rice
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c diced red onion
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro

In a medium saucepan, boil orange juice until reduced to 2/3 cup. (This takes about 25-30 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool. In a small food processor, blend reduced orange juice, chipotle peppers, cumin, and agave until well combined.
In a large bowl, combine rice, beans, onion, and cilantro. Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss until well combined. Serve and enjoy!

8 comments:

Kristy said...

I've been using a lot of rice myself lately and I'm excited to try this new recipe. I also used the snow as my excuse to be in the kitchen all day! I tried some new recipes myself the rice ones being Risotto and Rice pudding! Both turned out tasty!!

Ed Schenk@ Detroit Eats said...

Tasty looking recipe but I have always had problems cooking brown rice.

lynne said...

This recipe looks great. I am always looking for new rice and bean dishes. Basmati brown rice is really nutty and wonderful. Ed: Try making brown rice with a 1:2 ratio of rice to water and add about a half cup more water. Start checking after 15 minutes or so. Turn off the burner and let sit a few minutes. Drain excess water.

Anonymous said...

My problem with brown rice--or any rice for that matter is the cleanup. That white sticky yuck on the sponge. Never thought I'd say this but I am using precooked brown rice. Not all of it passed muster in our household, but there is this new brand in the Bay Area that is great. (FULL Disclosure--I have done work for them, but this is a personal comment only. Village Harvest is the name. Not sure where all you can find it.

Anonymous said...

This looks delish! Lately I've been on a brown rice kick, so this will be great. Tonight I made brown rice and lentil patties, made like a burger.

Unknown said...

Yum, thanks for sharing this recipe! I dressed up my serving with extra onion, avocado slices, and some cherry tomatoes. To the people who hate cooking rice, I enjoy the precooked frozen brown rice from Trader Joes...I know I should make it myself, but it makes cooking easier during the week!

Melissa Peterman said...

Great recipe! I forget how much I love brown rice too- I need to get with it! :) Thanks for the inspiration!

nicole said...

Hey, this recipe is fantastic. I have made it twice in the last week. My boyfriend hates brown rice but I think this may have converted him! I use black beans and pinto beans, and add some chopped tomato. It's delicious and I have definitely added this to my repertoire!