Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year and a Fresh New Salsa!

Happy New Year, everyone! It's amazing how quickly this year has rushed by and I felt like the holidays came and went before I even realized they were here. That being said, I was lucky enough to spend quite a few days with close family and it was absolutely heavenly just relaxing and enjoying each other's company.

Those long-term readers of 28Cooks will know that I love me a good detox. Although I did the Martha's Vineyard thing a few years back, I find that just spending a few weeks eating nothing but raw food really gives my body a break. Even though I consider myself to be a fairly healthy eater, there are times that I eat my fair share of junk food.

The internet is abuzz with the Raw revolution and there are plenty of excellent websites devoted to only eating raw and natural things. My goal this time around is to just eat as raw as possible for as long as possible, but keeping it as low stress as possible.

This recipe comes from Living on Live Food, which is an encyclopedia of excellent recipes and testimonials about how eating live food has changed lives. What I love about this salsa is the full flavor. The substantial addition of flat parsley and cilantro make this salsa a huge flavor salsa, and it's wonderful on raw crackers or tortilla chips. It's also a lovely little salad dressing. However, my favorite application is tossing a few tablespoons of this with a smashed avocado for a quick and perfectly-flavored guacamole.

Go ahead and let this salsa kick the winter doldrums right out of your tastebuds!

And be sure to check back tomorrow for a pretty cool giveaway and a chance to add a cool new appliance to your kitchen!

A Fresh New Salsa

Alissa's Salsa
an ever-so-slight variation from Living on Live Food

3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh flat italian parsley, roughly chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
6 plum tomatoes, cut into quarters
3 scallions, chopped into pieces

In a food processor, combine garlic, parsley, cilantro, vinegar, oil, lime juice, cumin, and salt and process until well minced. Add tomatoes and scallions and pulse until chunky and well mixed. Serve and enjoy!

3 comments:

Dori said...

Happy New Year... Salsa looks excellent!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEWWWW YEARRRR!
and thanks for all your wonderful recipes and raps!

Unknown said...

I have heard that eating all raw food is not good for you. Some foods are more nutritionaly available when cooked. Can anyone comment on this?