Sunday, January 17, 2010

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

For years, I've avoided tomato soup. I think it's because I had the canned version once as a child and instantly knew that wasn't going to happen again. Even as I got older and my culinary tastes started to change, I never willingly sought out or tried tomato soup again. However, about 2 years ago, I was at a little soup and sandwich place and for some reason, their tomato bisque sounded tasty to me. So I tried it, and guess what? I loved it. It was absolutely delicious, and since then, I've had it multiple times at a few different places.

I usually have a counter overflowing with produce in my kitchen. Unless I'm using it right away, it'll typically languish there until I realize it's close to being past prime. This morning, I noticed some gorgeous red tomatoes that were just perfectly soft. There was no way I was going to eat 2 1/2 pounds in a day, so I decided to make some soup.

Roasting the tomatoes adds such a lovely base to this soup, and quite frankly, couldn't be easier! The rest of the ingredients are so simple that this soup is a snap to make. It can be served hot or cold, depending on your mood or menu. This is also a great healthy recipe, as there is absolutely almost no fat, other than the few tbsp of olive oil.

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

Roasted Tomato Soup
Serves 4

2 1/2 pounds tomatoes, cored and cut in half
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c chopped red onion
1/2 tsp crushed fennel seed
2 c vegetable broth
1/4 c chopped fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 450. In a 9x13 pan, place tomatoes, cut side up. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until starting to brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
In large stockpot, heat remaining 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 8 minutes. Add fennel and saute for another minute or two, until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and broth to soup and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered. Remove from heat, taste, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add basil. Puree soup with an immersion blender until creamy.

7 comments:

Sasha said...

I made a roasted tomato soup yesterday but it was a mess since I kinda winged it. I'm using your recipe next time : )

Erika said...

I just made a tomato soup this week, very similar to yours, except that I add some summer squash (sauté with the onions). This soup is just fantastic!

daethyme said...

I'm eating it now which is why I had to come and say thank you! This soup rocks! amazing.
dae

R said...

Your tomato soup journey is almost exactly like mine. Hated the canned stuff as a kid, and I didn't eat it again until just a couple years ago (in my 40's). Now I love it, but I still wouldn't touch the canned stuff with a 10-foot pole.

Jan Scholl said...

I would still eat the canned stuff but since I add so many other ingredients, guess it isn't so canned anymore. Love tomato soup, really the only kind of soup I would eat everyday other than black bean chili. In fact, I have some defrosting right now from the mega pot I made a few weeks ago. Always have soup in freezer. BTW-love it with kale and fresh corn. I need to go make bread now.

tasteofbeirut said...

great soup!

Anonymous said...

What do you do with the garlic? I assume you roast it along with the tomatoes, but you didn't say.