Sunday, January 17, 2010

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

For years, I've avoided tomato soup. I think it's because I had the canned version once as a child and instantly knew that wasn't going to happen again. Even as I got older and my culinary tastes started to change, I never willingly sought out or tried tomato soup again. However, about 2 years ago, I was at a little soup and sandwich place and for some reason, their tomato bisque sounded tasty to me. So I tried it, and guess what? I loved it. It was absolutely delicious, and since then, I've had it multiple times at a few different places.

I usually have a counter overflowing with produce in my kitchen. Unless I'm using it right away, it'll typically languish there until I realize it's close to being past prime. This morning, I noticed some gorgeous red tomatoes that were just perfectly soft. There was no way I was going to eat 2 1/2 pounds in a day, so I decided to make some soup.

Roasting the tomatoes adds such a lovely base to this soup, and quite frankly, couldn't be easier! The rest of the ingredients are so simple that this soup is a snap to make. It can be served hot or cold, depending on your mood or menu. This is also a great healthy recipe, as there is absolutely almost no fat, other than the few tbsp of olive oil.

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

Roasted Tomato Soup
Serves 4

2 1/2 pounds tomatoes, cored and cut in half
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c chopped red onion
1/2 tsp crushed fennel seed
2 c vegetable broth
1/4 c chopped fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 450. In a 9x13 pan, place tomatoes, cut side up. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until starting to brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
In large stockpot, heat remaining 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 8 minutes. Add fennel and saute for another minute or two, until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and broth to soup and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered. Remove from heat, taste, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add basil. Puree soup with an immersion blender until creamy.


Sasha said...

I made a roasted tomato soup yesterday but it was a mess since I kinda winged it. I'm using your recipe next time : )

Erika said...

I just made a tomato soup this week, very similar to yours, except that I add some summer squash (sauté with the onions). This soup is just fantastic!

Utica Community Co-op said...

I'm eating it now which is why I had to come and say thank you! This soup rocks! amazing.

R said...

Your tomato soup journey is almost exactly like mine. Hated the canned stuff as a kid, and I didn't eat it again until just a couple years ago (in my 40's). Now I love it, but I still wouldn't touch the canned stuff with a 10-foot pole.

Jan Scholl said...

I would still eat the canned stuff but since I add so many other ingredients, guess it isn't so canned anymore. Love tomato soup, really the only kind of soup I would eat everyday other than black bean chili. In fact, I have some defrosting right now from the mega pot I made a few weeks ago. Always have soup in freezer. BTW-love it with kale and fresh corn. I need to go make bread now.

tasteofbeirut said...

great soup!

Anonymous said...

What do you do with the garlic? I assume you roast it along with the tomatoes, but you didn't say.