Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Fun with the Dehydrator: Raw Lemon Macaroons

I'm not much of a sweet person, but if I do crave something sweet, it's usually either an oatmeal cookie or something of the lemon family. I love lemon meringue pie and lemon squares, so to make a lemon macaroon was a no-brainer for me.

The best part about this recipe is that you can easily just refrigerate these after making the batter and have a no-bake chilled cookie, so if you don't have a dehydrator, you can still enjoy them! I also believe, although I haven't tried it, that you could easily bake these in the oven on a very low temp for an hour or two.
If you're looking for more of a traditional macaroon baked in the oven, try these Coconut Cardamom Macaroons.

Raw Lemon Macaroons

Lemon Macaroons
2 cups shredded coconut
1/2 c coconut butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c agave
1/2 c cashews, ground into flour
Juice and zest from 2 lemons

Mix all ingredients together. If using the dehydrator, form into mounds and place on dehydrator tray. Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 12 hours, until they are nice and crispy on the outside, yet still moist on the inside. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound delicious! I am already am a fan of the macaroons in Raw Food/Real World - I'll add these to the arsenal.

Anonymous said...

What is coconut butter?