Monday, February 16, 2009

Thai Slaw

It's the dead of winter here on the East Coast, which is typically when people crave heavy, warm, comfort foods. However, I'm of the opposite line of thinking, and crave things that make me think of warm weather.

I found this slaw recipe on The Daily Raw Cafe and immediately bookmarked it. I had all of the ingredients stocked in my pantry, so I gave it a go. I made a few moderations to the original recipe, and let me tell you - it's absolutely delicious. The dressing is quite fantastic, and I think it would be wonderful as a regular salad dressing or as a dipping sauce for spring rolls.

The recipe literally took me about 20 minutes to make, so this is one you should file away for when you have limited time but want something tasty. I also think this would be a great twist on the traditional coleslaws for those upcoming barbeques and spring get-togethers!

Thai Slaw

Thai Slaw
A variation of a recipe from the Daily Raw Cafe
Serves 4

Dressing
1/2 c raw almond butter
1/4 c coconut oil
1 tbsp agave nectar
Zest and juice of one lime
1 tsp minced ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Slaw
4 cups Napa cabbage, finely shredded
2 cups red cabbage, finely shredded
1 cup carrot, finely shredded
1 tbsp fresh mint, minced
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced

Combine all dressing ingredients in a small food processor. Process until well combined. In a large bowl, combine all slaw ingredients. Pour dressing over slaw ingredients and toss well. Allow to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving, although overnight is best. Enjoy!!

6 comments:

Kirby! said...

I'm the same way! After so many cold months, I really start to crave the kind of fresh and clean food that people usually associate with summer and spring. This slaw looks delish!

kickpleat said...

oooh, this looks so good! i'll definitely make this since i love pretty much every coleslaw that comes into contact with my mouth :)

jd said...

Yum - this sounds fantastic!

I really like making variations on typical slaws/salads, so I'm excited to give this a try.

Plus, I've been considering getting the RFD book for a while now, and the quality of this recipe will probably help me decide!

Cool!

zlamushka said...

this RawSlaw is fabulous. Love it :-) My first time here, looking for vegan inspirations for my 21-day vegan challenge (almost done, but thinking of continuing as I looooove it :-)
I think I just found what I was looking for...

Emily Anne Carson said...

Oooooo. Looks so good! Definitely going to try this one. :)

Cindy said...

I tried this last week and loved it! Thank you. :-)

It's my first time using coconut oil. It's terrific, I can't wait to try it in a few more dishes.