Thursday, November 12, 2009

Spicy Sweet Potato Coins

Okay, confession time. I'm not a huge sweet potato fry fan. I wish I was, but every time a friend orders them in a restaurant, I'm put off by the sweeter mealiness (is that a word??) of the inside. There is a local restaurant that serves them with some fun dipping sauces, like a chipotle aoili and a lime cilantro vinaigrette, that makes the bearable for me, but otherwise I'm out.

So I had a few sweet potatoes left over from last week, and the recurring sweet potato fry theme kept kicking around in my head. I finally decided to do something about it and this recipe was born.

Whoa. These are delicious. No, seriously. They're tasty! The brown sugar carmelizes to give them a nice crispy crust, but then the spiciness of the cumin, crushed red pepper, and chili powder comes soaring through. The best part about them - the recipe is a cinch to make so this is a side dish you'll want to make over and over again!

Sweet and Spicy Sweet Potato Coins

Spicy Sweet Potato Coins

2 sweet potatoes, peeled
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp salt or seasoning salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sesame oil

Preheat oven to 425 and cover a baking sheet in parchment paper. Cut sweet potatoes into 1/4" slices and place into bowl. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and remaining spices. Drizzle olive oil over potatoes and toss well with hands to coat. Sprinkle spices over potatoes and toss well again with hands to coat. Drizzle with sesame oil and toss briefly to coat slices.
Place on parchment-lined baking sheet and place in preheated oven. Bake for 7-10 minutes, then flip. Bake an additional 5-7 minutes, watching carefully to make sure they don't burn. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Potatoes will crisp up more as they cool. Serve and enjoy!

10 comments:

Elaine said...

These look amazing, I have some sweets in the veg basket and had no inspirations. I will be making these tonight. Yum...

Jamie said...

I had sweet potatoes from the CSA and a husband that hates them...this recipe was amazing and we both loved it! I was so excited to see it come across my reader today!

Stephanie said...

Yum! I love the combination of spices you used here...can't wait to try this one :)

foonthu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
beet-red said...

These were awesome! Thanks for posting

Discover How to Lose Belly Fat said...

They look amazing! Super yummy :)

-----------------------------
Burn Belly Fat

Houston employment attorney said...

Mmmm. Potato coins. I've been eating potatoes the past three days. Maybe I'll make it a potato week. These look scrumptious!

Bobby Tux said...

Mixture of seamon and olive oil seemed nice but Patan ghee would be a good option to put into the recipe....

Carly said...

I was looking through old posts to find some new recipes and remembered that this recipe was from here. My girlfriend and I make these all the time. They're our favorite.

Just wanted to say thanks!