Monday, November 09, 2009

Crispy Baked Tofu with a Quick Curry Sauce

I know I've had this discussion before, but regular tofu just isn't my favorite thing. It's definitely a texture thing, and the crumbly texture of regular sauteed tofu isn't my first choice. However, baked or smoked tofu is a whole different story! The texture is denser and much more enjoyable. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend you do. Tofu is such a wonderful way to get protein without a lot of fat, as well as a nice dose of B-vitamins and iron.

Although you can purchase baked tofu in the store, it's so much more fun to make your own version, and here I've coated and baked it until crispy, giving it a wonderful texture. I've tossed it with a quick curry sauce, that is wonderfully rich from a touch of butter and fat-free half and half. All together, you've got a nutritiously sound meal that delivers in taste! And if you aren't a tofu eater, don't despair - you can toss this quick curry sauce with tempeh, beans, or even sauteed chicken.

Crispy Baked Tofu with a Quick Curry Sauce

Crispy Baked Tofu with a Quick Curry Sauce
Serves 4

Marinade
1 pkg. water-packed tofu, drained and cut into 1" cubes
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar

1/2 c cornstarch
1 tbsp chili powder

3 tbsp butter
1 cup slivered onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp sugar (depending on the acidity of your tomatoes)
1/4 c fat-free half and half

In a ziploc bag, combine tofu and the remaining marinade ingredients. Place in refrigerator and allow to marinate for at least an hour, although overnight is best. Preheat oven to 350. Combine cornstarch and chili powder in a shallow bowl. Toss tofu cubes, a few at a time, in cornstarch until well coated and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly spray with cooking spray and place in heated oven. Bake for 45 minutes, flipping at least once, until crispy on the outside.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat butter oven medium high heat until melted. Add onions and saute 3-5 minutes, until almost tender. Add garlic, and saute an additional minute or so. Add curry powder, coriander, cumin, and cayenne pepper, and saute for another minute. Add tomato sauce and allow sauce to simmer for a few minutes. Add sugar if desired. Simmer for another few minutes, then remove from heat. Stir in half and half. Toss tofu in sauce and serve over rice.

This is part of "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday" - be sure to check the site for the rest of the tasty recipes!

12 comments:

kickpleat said...

I love tofu, but I'm always looking for more ways to cook it. I love the idea of this recipe and I love curry, so I'll definitely put this on my tofu to-do list.

Joanne said...

Yeah, I'm with kickpleat...I've been eating more tofu this past year and I've depleted a lot of my standard go-to recipes...this looks so delicious and succulent!

Hannah said...

We LOVE baked tofu at our house...definitely our favorite way to eat tofu. Curry is a big favorite of ours too, so this recipe sounds fabulous!

Hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelby said...

I am a fan of tofu and I am very happy (& excited!) to see this recipe! I am definitely going to give this a try! Looks and sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

My son loves tofu, I like the curry sauce.
Geri

Elle said...

Man, that looks good! Just getting into tofu recently, but always on the lookout for things to do with it. Love how you've coated it before baking for that crust!

San Francisco Catering said...

Ohh my goodness does that look tasty. When I go in my kitchen tomorrow for my San Francisco catering business I will try this out and let all know how it comes out

cyn said...

This is toufu. wow looks like chicken tho. Toufu is delicious when fried with tou ju too

Jamie said...

This recipe (or rather, your rave on *baking* tofu) got me interested enough to try it. And now I'm in love. I also think I'm going to switch to tomato sauce (instead of puree) for indian-style curries from now on - wonderful consistency. I liked the baked tofu so much that I'm adding it to tomorrow night's mushroom bourguignon. Thanks!

Gate Opener said...

The tummy is tempted!

I'm so hungry now..So tasty and delicious for my eyes!

Like it so much!

Amanda McGlothlin said...

Ok, I made this last night and it was one of the best tofu dishes I have ever made. Thanks for sharing! Off to go eat more leftovers...