Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sweet Heat Hot Sauce

So last week I showed you some of the lovely peppers I was given. Although I want to try them in some different ways, there is nothing I love more than a good hot sauce, so I knew immediately I was trying a new batch.

This is another very hot sauce recipe. I have a very high tolerance for heat (I've been known to eat habaneros on their own), but even I will agree this heat will probably be around a 4 out of 5 on the 28 Cooks' Hot-O-Meter. But ohhh, does it deliver in the flavor department. I added apricot nectar and orange juice to give it some sweetness factor, and threw in some horseradish to kick it up a notch, and combined with the pure hot peppers, you have yourself a hot sauce that is absolutely delicious.

I think it's good enough to eat by itself with tortilla chips, but those more sensitive to heat may want to use sparingly and add to salsas or other sauces. And just a thought - if you have some Chile Heads on your Christmas List, this would be a perfect homemade gift! And be sure to check the recipe files for more hot and spicy condiment recipes!

Sweet Heat Hot Sauce

Sweet Heat Hot Sauce

2 cups chopped hot peppers (I used a variety of all sorts)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup apricot nectar
1 cup orange juice
1 cup cider vinegar
3 tbsp horseradish
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients, except Worcestershire sauce, in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat and allow sauce to simmer uncovered for 45 minutes to an hour, until sauce starts to thicken. Add Worcestershiire and remove from heat. Sauce tastes best if allowed to cool and is refrigerated for a day or two.

2 comments:

Hope said...

Beautiful hot sauce! We've been trying to perfect ours though have had a couple of disasters and a really crummy crop of peppers this summer. You do wonderful things with peppers!

Faith said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love all the flavors in this hot sauce, especially the apricot nectar. It sounds amazing and I bet it's good on so many things!