Saturday, October 03, 2009

Cream of Mushroom Scallion Soup

Well, I finally caved. I turned the heat on yesterday. I admit, I'm weak when it comes to the cold and waking up to a 63-degree bedroom isn't my idea of a good time. And most of you know that any weather colder than 70's isn't my favorite - I'm a summer baby through and through.

I must admit, however, that I do love the beginning of fall season, as I have the chance to make hearty comforting dishes. I especially love a good soup, so I wanted to make something fairly quick, yet hearty, to enjoy during our most recent cold snap.

I love cream of mushroom soup and I always have. I had some great baby bellas in the fridge and was going to just make a regular old soup. As I was browsing through a few cookbooks, just getting ideas on proportions and seasonings, I came across a Cream of Mushroom Scallion soup in the old standby, The Joy of Cooking. I was immediately intrigued and thought I'd make a few changes. The result is quite tasty. It's got the great earthy base of mushroom, but has a lovely fresh flavor from the scallions. I also threw in just a touch of cream, but overall, this recipe is about as healthy as it gets.

Cream of Mushroom Scallion Soup

Cream of Mushroom Scallion Soup
based loosely from a recipe in The Joy of Cooking
Serves 4-6

1/4 c butter
3 bunches of scallions, cleaned
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp flour
4 c vegetable stock
1/2 c white wine
1 (12 oz) package baby bella mushrooms (or any variety on hand)
1/2 c cream
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Mince cleaned scallions, using both green and white parts. (I just threw mine in the food processor) In a large stockpot, melt butter. Add onions, salt, and pepper. Saute onions over medium high heat for 8-10 minutes, until soft. Do not brown. Stir in flour, saute for 1 minute. Whisk in stock and wine, then bring to a boil. Add mushrooms, lower heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream and nutmeg.
Using an immersion blender, blend soup to desired texture. (I like a bit of the mushroom texture to remain). Serve and enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not much of a mushroom lover. Nways, if you have time, do drop by my blog - http://lutongpinoy.info

Joanne said...

Living in Toronto, I caved in last week and turned on the furnace. It was cold outside. Now I'm nice and toasty. I too am a pesco-vegetarian and I love your recipes!! I drop by often to get ideas and wanted to say "hi!" Love the mushroom soup!

francis said...

WOW-Great blogsite!!!!!!!!! I really enjoyed the pictures- thanks for brightening my day ! Francis http://www.geothermalquestions.net