Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I smell hot sauce a-brewin'!

Part of what excites me about food and cooking is that there is always something new to discover. There's always new ways to pair and prepare foods and there's always a new spin you can put on the simplest of ingredients.

I was recently gifted with a huge basket of hot peppers from one of the most talented pepper growers I know, who also happens to be a fantastic photographer. I look forward to this every year as it gives me a chance to brew up some different hot sauces.

Bounty of Fresh Peppers


I'm not quite sure which way I'm going this year. I have enough peppers to make a few different things, and the possibilities are absolutely exciting to me. (Gee, guess I'm a food dork through and through). I'm thinking I'll remake the Mango Habanero Jam again, which is not as hot or as sweet as you think it would be, but every bit as tasty as it should be. I also want to try my hand at recreating a hot sauce I purchased at some little gourmet store, so I'll be sure to keep you updated with the makings.

But while I kick some ideas around, enjoy some of these previously posted hot sauce recipes. You may want to jot these down for future presents for Chile heads in the upcoming holiday season!

One of my favorite recipes of all time, Habanero Garlic Salsa.

Habanero Garlic Salsa

Another great and spicy hot sauce, the Ultimate 7-Pepper Sauce.

7 Pepper Hot Sauce

And you want to talk about the perfect partner with a nice sharp cheese? You have to try this Hot Pepper and Garlic Jelly. It'll blow your mind.

Pepper Jelly

2 comments:

lekkercraft said...

This post has convinced me to plant a bunch of hot peppers next year. All of these recipes look delicious!

Joanne said...

The jars of hot pepper n garlic jelly look magnificent. The light streaming through the jar accenting its contents is beyond words. That alone would convince me to make this :)