Friday, April 04, 2008

The Famous BBQ Ribz

I've been a vegaquarian for almost 4 years now. And although I don't crave meat at all, there are certain times that I miss the idea of it. For example, I love summer. I love the heat, I love the sun, I love being outdoors. And there's nothing better on a summer day than throwing a BBQ with friends and family. The smell of the grill, the charcoal - it's all good. And I've done just fine grilling fish and seafood for the past few years. But every once in awhile, I'll get the whiff of barbequed chicken or ribs and it almost makes me miss the meat. Almost.

Enter Susan V's BBQ Ribz. This is a recipe so brilliant and so tasty, I wish it was my own creation. First off, it's super super easy to make. It takes about 5 minutes to measure and mix the ingredients together, and then you throw it in the oven for 25minutes. After that, it's simply a matter of grilling, either on a grill or using a grill pan, and viola - you've got tastiness! I love that the texture of the seitan isn't too meatlike, but it still has enough bite to it that you feel satisfied biting into it.

You can absolutely guarantee that this recipe will be making many appearances this summer. And when it looks this good, don't you want to try it too??

BBQ Seitan Ribz

Susan V's BBQ Ribz
An ever-so-slight variation

1 cup vital wheat gluten
2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons tahini or other nut butter
1 tsp Better than Bouillon Vegetarian Beef Base (optional)
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients, from gluten to garlic powder. In a smaller bowl, whisk together tahini, bouillon, Liquid Smoke, and soy sauce. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined. Press and pat into lightly-oiled 8x8 baking dish. Cut in half lengthwise, then slice each half into 6-8 pieces. Place into oven and bake for 25 minutes. Start heating grill or lightly-oiled grill pan. Brush top of baked seitan with a generous amount of BBQ sauce. Place, sauce-side down, on grill rack. Brush bottom side with BBQ sauce. When there are nice grill marks on bottom, flip and rebrush with sauce. (Mine took about 2-3 minutes each side) Remove from grill and cut into riblets. Serve with additional sauce if desired.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really nice & guilt free indulgence. I like the slightly red hue of the dish, reminds me of asian's 'red (hong shao) ribs'.

Anonymous said...

OK, Is this an April fools joke? Are you sure there isn't some side ribs under the BBQ sauce. Wow, looks amazing and they really look like ribs too!

Fiber said...

Wiffy - Mmmm...that sounds amazing.

Chuck - I know! Don't they look tasty??!?

Anonymous said...

My god those looks fantastic! I think that even the most dedicated of meat eaters would have a hard time resisting these :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl
contact me at ashishbaldua4@gmail.com to know more.

thx-Ashish

Anonymous said...

I love love love these ribz!! The veg beef boullion is definitely on the mark and the pic is awesome! I must say...mine were definitely not that photogenic! I will just have to keep practicing. YUM!

Anonymous said...

I just made these and they're wonderful, but I left them on the grill too long (3 minutes burned them to a crisp!) and had to cut the burned part off. Nevertheless they were a real hit (maybe that unintended smokey flavor?). Thanks for posting.