Friday, February 15, 2008

Roasted Vegetable 101

There's probably not an easier side dish to make than roasted vegetables. Since I've been eating only fruits and vegetables, I've been roasting everything I can get my hands on. I just made some fabulous roasted cauliflower last night and today was some fresh green beans. Quick, easy, tasty - is there anything else??

Pretty much any vegetable can be roasted using these simple guidelines. Try brussel sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, baby onions, potatoes - the possibilities are endless. This isn't really even a recipe so much as it is an easy guideline. No matter what you use, I can guarantee you you'll love the tastiness of a great roasted vegetable.

Roasted Green Beans

Roasted Vegetables 101

Enough vegetables, trimmed and prepped
Just enough olive oil to lightly coat vegetables
Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
A few halved or quartered cloves of garlic
Fresh herbs optional

Preheat oven to 400. In a large baking dish or jelly pan, toss vegetables with enough olive oil to lightly coat them. Toss in some salt, pepper, and garlic cloves and combine well. Got some fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme? Throw a few sprigs in! Put in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are fork tender. Serve and enjoy!

7 comments:

maryja said...

I love roasting vegetable. Just last night I roaste up some sweet potatoe fries with EVO, sea salt, and dried rosemary. The BF loved them.

Sharona May said...

I agree that roasting vegetables is fabulous!!! I love to roast Cherry Tomatoes with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and WOW!
Now I will have to give green beans a try.

Thanks!

Sharona May

gray la gran said...

i often follow your 'recipe' for the roasted brussel sprouts with garlic. i have converted many friends and family to loving brussel sprouts as much as i love 'em thanks to you.
i love the concept of "101" guidelines ... it makes me feel more like an empowered cook in the kitchen. i hope you include more guidelines throughout the year.
it's only monday morning, but you've got me thinking about dinner tonight =)

Fiber said...

Maryja - that sounds delicious. I'm going to have to try that immediately.

Sharona - I love roasted tomatoes, especially the grape tomatoes. The balsamic touch sounds great.

Gray - I do love those brussel sprouts too. They've converted many a former brussel sprout hater around here. Glad you enjoy the guidelines - I really prefer them over strict recipes!

Anonymous said...

The photo is very nice. And I know it's delicious, cause this is my very favourite summer lunch :-)

SheSaidPics.com said...

That is how I love to cook my meat. I sear them olive oil, garlic and fresh seasoning and finish in the oven. http://hotcookies.net

Kathleen said...

At my house, we call roasted veggies our "Fallback Meal". It's what we make when we don't know what we're having for dinner and don't want to think. We add chunks of tofu or tempeh to the roasting pan w/the veggies to get a more complete meal sometimes too. We love it!!