Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Edamole

I love reading other food blogs. There are so many great pictures and recipes that sometimes it's hard to keep track of all the things that strike my fancy and that I want to make. However, sometimes I'll find a recipe that looks so tasty that I want to make it immediately.

Running with Tweezers recently posted this recipe for "Holy Edamole" which immediately caught my eye. I loved her variations and I wanted to kick it up just a bit with some fresh cilantro. I also decreased the oil just a bit, and I think I found a dip recipe that will be making an appearance over and over again in the future. The edamame combined with the lemon and the spicy make such a fantastic dip that goes great with tortilla chips. Although you'll never fool anyone into thinking it's the original stuff, it is a great protein-filled alternative to the fattier real stuff.

*Just as an aside - I made this recipe before I started my 40-day thing, but took the picture a few days ago. Can't tell you how hard it was to stack those tortilla chips without putting any in my mouth!

Edamole

Edamole
Serves 4

1 (8 oz) pkg shelled ready-to-eat edamame, about 1 1/2 cups
3 tbsp Smart Balance oil (or olive oil)
1/2 cup cool water
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp sambal olek or another hot sauce
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 generous tbsp cilantro, minced

Combine all ingredients, except the cilantro in a food processor and process until well combined and smooth. This should take a few minutes. Remove, place into a bowl, and stir in cilantro. Chill for an hour or so for flavors to make friends. Serve and enjoy!!

6 comments:

Chris said...

Yum! Sounds great. I just bought edamame for the first time and made a wonderful 3-bean salad with it. (http://melecotte.blogspot.com/2008/02/theres-still-time-midnight-tonight-is.html)

I am sold. Its a bookmark for sure! Thanks!

Catherine said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try this!

Rachael said...

What a lovely idea for a dip!!

Kudos to your self control! Keep it up

Anonymous said...

I love all things dippy and snackish, plus I adore edamame. Thanks for sharing a great idea...

Donna said...

this looks like such a cool, unique dish. By the way, excellent photography! What kind of camera do you use?

Ashley said...

this looks fantastic! what a great idea :)