Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Chipotle Black Bean & Rice Stew

Lately, it's been sort of rainy and damp here in Pennsylvania. I got home from class last night, and after walking back to my car in a cold drizzle, all I wanted was something hot and satisfying.

I love this stew. It's exactly the sort of feel good soup you crave when it's cold and rainy outside. It's filling, full of good-for-you things, and deeply satisfying.
It's loosely based on a recipe from Rachael Ray, whom I can't bear to watch on TV, but can appreciate some of her recipes.

This is also a quick recipe to make, and most things are stocked in your kitchen. You can easily have this on the table in no more than 45 minutes.
Chipolte Black Bean Stew

Chipotle Black Bean
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 c vidalia onion, minced
2 celery ribs, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Knorr Chipolte Bouillon cubes*
1 c frozen white corn kernels
2 (15 oz) cans black beans
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (32 oz) carton vegetable stock
1 c white rice

Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, and saute bay leaf, onions, celery, and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Crumble chipotle cubes into pot. Add corn and both cans of undrained black beans. Add chili powder, coriander, and cumin, stirring well. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and stock. Cover pot, raise heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add rice, and bring back to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer until rice is tender.

*If unable to find Knorr Chipotle Bouillon cubes in your area, then substitute 1-2 well-minced canned chipotle peppers.

10 comments:

Special Sauce said...

Ooo! I like this! I think I may need to make this for the weekend. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I have saved this recipe to try soon. I really do enjoy your site and your choice of foods!! Keep it up!

NWJR said...

I'm in love with Rachael Ray, but sadly,I don't think she knows I exist.

:-)

I am SO going to try this recipe.

Anonymous said...

This stew is everything warm and comforting (just as I hoped it would be). Yes, I will be having seconds.

Vanessa said...

Beautiful!

Kate said...

I love chipotle recipes, and this looks absolutely delicious. This recipe warms me up just reading it!
Wonderful blog!

Kate said...

I love chipotle recipes, and this looks absolutely delicious. This recipe warms me up just reading it!
Wonderful blog!

Kate said...

I love chipotle recipes, and this looks absolutely delicious. This recipe warms me up just reading it!
Wonderful blog!

Kate said...

I love chipotle recipes, and this looks absolutely delicious. This recipe warms me up just reading it!
Wonderful blog!

Ruth Daniels said...

Sounds delicious and so easy.

Thanks for sharing.