Friday, July 11, 2008

Just Because It's Vegan - Spicy Italian Sauzage

It's been quite some time since we've had a "Just Because It's Vegan" recipe. The premise of the JBIV recipes is that vegan food is quite delicious, despite the stereotype that all vegans and vegetarians eat is cardboard and salad.

So this is a recipe that's been floating around the Internet for quite some time, sort of like Susan V's Ribz. I've had a few recipes and variations printed out to try for quite some time, but I just never got around to it.

Thankfully I gave it a try. I'm not kidding you when I say these are absolutely delicious. The flavor is good, the texture is pretty spot on, and they are simply fantastic. I served this to a few of my omnivore coworkers as well as my meat-eating roommate, and most agreed that they would never have been able to tell that it wasn't real sausage if I wouldn't have told them. Seriously - it's that good. Here they are served in marinara sauce with sauteed baby bella mushrooms and onions. However, you could probably serve them a million ways!

This variation came from "Don't Eat Off the Sidewalk," and it's pretty much true to the way she made it. I didn't add red peppers however, and added some garlic powder just for fun. True credit, of course, goes to the recipe creator, Julie of Everyday Dish.

Spicy Italian Sauzage II

Spicy Italian Sauzage
Makes 8 links

2 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
1/2 c nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 c chickpea flour
2 tbsp vegetarian chicken broth powder*
1 tbsp fennel seed, crushed
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
Pepper to taste

2 cups water
2 tbsp soy sauce (or Worcestershire sauce)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp hot sauce

Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together all wet ingredients. Using a fork, gently stir into dry ingredients. Stir just until mixed. Scoop 1/2 cup of the dough mixture and shape into a log. Place each log on a sheet of aluminum foil and wrap up, twisting the ends. (Logs do not need to be perfect - they swell and fill out during cooking). Place sausages into steamer and steam for 30 minutes. Once they have cooled, remove from foil and refrigerate. These also freeze well. Serve and enjoy!

*I think this is a key ingredient. I used Frontier brand, and the powder provides a nice fullness and juiciness to the sauzage.

Check out the rest of the "Just Because It's Vegan" recipes:
*Thai Curry Tempeh Salad
*Raw Brownies

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sausages look so good in your marinara sauce, YUM! And Don't Eat Off the Sidewalk's blog did a great job with the photos and instructions.

I don't think we'll ever go vegetarian, but I do like to stretch meat with lentils, not just to save money, but also to reduce meat intake while still getting protein. So I might fiddle around with this as a meat stretcher. I can't remember if I have chickpea flour; if not, I know I have a different bean flour.

Did you make the gluten yourself, or buy it?

Fiber said...

You could easily substitute any flour you wanted for the chickpea flour. And I bought the gluten flour. To me, it's just worth it, especially since I get it at a bulk natural food store for cheap.

Elaine said...

This looks absolutely FABULOUS!!! I have not eaten lunch yet, am hungry, and somehow my Boca Burger just doesn't seem like it is going to cut it. I will be making this very soon. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Just so people are aware, traditional Worcestershire sauce is decidedly not vegan, as it contains anchovies. Vegan versions are apparently available, though.

Fiber said...

Elaine - thanks for compliments! You'll have to let me know how you liked this!

Anon - thanks for making that note. I meant to put a tag in the recipe stating that but completely forgot! Thanks for the eagle eye!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Your version looks delicious in the marinara with mushrooms! I'm going to check out your Raw Brownies link now.

Carrie said...

Aren't those sausages amazing?? I love them so much.

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)