Monday, May 01, 2006

3 Bean Dip

I was just talking to a coworker this week about how much I adore beans. I could eat them any time of day for days on end. I especially love cold bean dishes, and am always trying new variations of bean dips.

Thankfully, AJ, who is a contributor to one of the vegetarian lists I belong to, shared her delicious recipe for her Hot and Spicy 3-Bean Dip. I switched it up just a tad based on what I had on hand, and ended up with the most delicious bean dip I've ever had.

With summer coming, you'll want to have plenty of quick recipes just like this to take to cookouts and get-togethers. This would be fantastic with chips, crackers, or even rolled up in tortillas or large lettuce leaves.

3-Bean Dip

3-Bean Dip
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cloves garlic
1/2 c minced onion
1/2 c minced green or red bell pepper
1/4 c fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
3 tbsp lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste

You can either place all ingredients in a food processor, and blend until smooth. I personally like more texture, so I simply mashed the beans with a potato masher, and then added the rest of the ingredients.
Allow to chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so for flavors to make friends.

4 comments:

Special Sauce said...

Oh. I am in lurve. And I too could eat beans pretty much 3 meals a day. I like this,a nd will definitely be making it for the next cookout/get together, since it's stuff I pretty much always have on hand.

Michele said...

Oh my this sounds good! I just made refried beans today and am about to make hummus... I love beans too and so does my crew so we eat them a lot! I'm making homemade baked beans in the crock pot tomorrow. Pinto beans later this week... the list never ends!

Mindy T. said...

I'll add my voice to the chorus: Beans are great, hot or cold. This is the kind of dip/spread I keep on hand just about constantly, along with whole-grain bread or crackers. It's such a healthy way to snack. I can't understand people who don't eat beans because they're "upsetting." Haven't they ever heard of Beano? Tragic, really.... sniff.

http://mindycooks.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Tenuate money orders cod accepted what is depakote used for Drive test land rover discovery Hot chicks blowjob Columbia south carolina moving companies Vacuum cleaner bag discount