Monday, May 13, 2013

Grilled Philly Mushroom Sandwich

Listen, I promise this won't just be a "Grilling Only" blog. But I have to share this recipe with you and then I promise I'll get back to other recipes that don't require a grill. (Although seriously, grills are pretty awesome)

After the success of the mushroom gyro (and that was a very tasty success!), my husband came up with the idea for a grilled mushroom sub, sorta like a vegetarian cheesesteak. And since we live so close to Philadelphia and home of the Cheesesteak, I knew we had to do it right. (Technically, this is a "One Provolone With.")

We chopped up some lovely Baby Bella mushrooms, which are probably my favorite for just everyday tastiness. I love onions in my cheezesteaks, so we roughly chopped a gorgeous red onion to add into the mix.



The mushroom and onion mixture are drizzled with olive oil and then generously seasoned with Italian seasoning and fresh garlic, before they go straight onto a grill rack/pan. (If you don't have a grill, go ahead and saute them in a pan).



After those are all nice and cooked, we assembled the sandwich on a nice crusty hard roll with a healthy schmear (yes, that's a technical term) of marinara sauce and a few thin slices of smoked provolone. Add a generous amount of the cooked mushrooms and onions, and you've got yourself a sandwich that is guaranteed to satisfy any vegetarian. (or even omnivore!)



Seriously, this couldn't be easier and is the perfect meal for those summer nights where you don't want to spend more than 30 minutes making something hearty.

Grilled Philly Mushroom Sandwich

4 cups quartered Baby Bella mushrooms
1 cup roughly chopped red onion
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
2 cloves garlic, minced

Rolls, cheese, and your favorite marinara sauce

Preheat grill to medium high. Combine mushrooms, onions, oil, salt, seasoning, and garlic. Stir well. Cook on grill pan for about 4-5 minutes, until tender but not too mushy. Assemble sandwich and ENJOY!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... does this sandwich look delicious! As soon as I am able I will be using my barbeque grill and grill pan to make me one for a scrumptious dinner. And oh at the same time... I will have to place a smoked sausage on the grill for my non-vegetarian hubby :-) But I love this recipes that make it easy to make dual meals...
Plesae keep the delicious recipes, pics and garden development tips coming... I love them

Fiber said...

Thanks Anonymous!! If you give this recipe a try, let me know how it comes out!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a grill, but I have been craving Philly steak sandwiches lately. I am on a serious budget and love mushrooms so I loved the idea of this! I tried it last night, but made a few alterations to use what I had onhand.

I sautéed the mushrooms with garlic, basil and Italian seasoning, the added a dash or two of soyaki (TJ's sauce). I can't eat cheese (lactose intolerant), so I thinly sliced avacado instead. I didn't have maranara sauce so I used a few grape tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise. (yes, so many changes this can't be called your recipe anymore but I had to tell you about it because as an omnivore i never would have imagined what an amazing, quick, easy and delicious solution mushrooms would be!)

In the end, I had a gorgeous baby bella mushroom sandwich with avacado and tomato in a crispy chewy hoagie roll and it was the best thing I'd eaten all week. Far better than the actual Phillysteak I'd had! So, thank you! I hope you don't mind all the swaps. Avacado is a great cheese alternative, but not with maranara! Still, I love your blog & followed it for years and had to tell you thanks for the idea! :)

Lorrie

Fiber said...

Lorri,
I love your substitutions and that this recipe served as inspiration for you! That's the best part about cooking - you can make each recipe your own. I love the addition of avocado. Sounds positively delicious!