Monday, November 08, 2010

Tabbouleh, raw style

Before I get into this new recipe, allow me to announce the winner of Alissa Cohen's latest cookbook, "Raw Food for Everyone." Congratulations, dbswissy! Here is her randomly-picked winning comment:

"...looking for ways to incorporate more raw fruits and veggies in my family's diet. Also I want to support my mom who is very into the raw food diet. I would love to be able to surprise her with some great recipes!"

Now speaking of raw food recipes, I can completely understand someone's hesitation to venture into a "raw food diet." Most cookbooks have long lists of special ingredients and appliances, and some recipes take 4-5 days of preparation. That's pretty intimidating!

One of my favorite raw food blogs is "Raw on $10 a Day." I love it because not only does she post days' worth of menus that cost less than $10 per day to make (usually for 2-3 people), but most of her recipes are simple, easy, and don't require a kitchen stocked with fancy appliances.

She has a cookbook out that I really like and this is variation on her recipe for Tabbouleh. I've always been a fan of tabbouleh, so I was excited to find a version done raw style.

Sure, the weather is getting colder out there, but sometimes on a cold, windy day, you just want a fresh tasting dish with some snap to it. This recipe fits the bit - it's easy, it's full of fresh veggies and herbs, and will most definitely leave you feeling satisfied.

Tabbouleh

Tabbouleh, raw style

A variation from "Raw on $10 a Day"

1 c cauliflower florets
1 cup minced flat parsley
2 medium sized cucumbers, diced
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 large onion, diced
1/4 cup minced fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper

Place cauliflower florets in food processor. Pulse until it becomes small rice-sized pieces. Add to a large mixing bowl and combine with remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I’m looking to make some changes in my own eating habits, so I appreciate your insight a lot! Thank you. I recently stumbled upon this blog like I did yours and I thought your readers may appreciate it: http://burisonthecouch.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/food-for-thought/

I’ve started to look for their stuff more regularly and I think I’m going to add your blog to my list as well. Thanks for the post!

-Amy

Anonymous said...

Great! Looks wonderful.....

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie said...

Great list of ingredients. Even if I don't eat raw all the time - it's good to have something fresh and raw like this as a little contrast to all the cooked food.

Jayne said...

Looks fantastic! I will have to try it this weekend. How long doe the dish last? I see it makes 6 servings, but I am single and don’t want to end up wasting food. Every now and then I check out this site, http://shelflifeadvice.com. It helps me from needlessly throwing away a lot of food by telling me how long a food item lasts. It’s a great site and you should definitely check it out. I always do before trying a recipe.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may all your wishes come true!

Dinning Guide said...

These looks so yummy. Yours look so delicious, I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing all of your great recipes.

Victoria said...

That sounds like a fantastic idea.