Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Plantain and Queso Fresco Puff Pastry Spirals with Roasted Tomatillo and Parsley Crema

Those who know me well know that I love a challenge, especially in the kitchen. When I saw the "They Go Really Well Together" challenge over at "Should You Eat That?" I knew I wanted to be involved. I must admit when I read the 2 required ingredients, bananas and parsley, I had a little bit of trouble trying to wrap my mind around the combination. However, the more I thought about it, the more I knew it would make a winning pair.

I've always been a huge fan of plantains, and combined with the queso fresco, they make the perfect filling for the buttery puff pastry. I wanted to add a fuller flavor to the parsley crema, so I roasted some tomatillos and pureed those in as well. All in all, the flavors work extremely well together and these will definitely be making an appearance at the next get-together. Although it seems like a fiddly and long recipe, and not only in the length of the name, these can be made ahead of time and reheated in the oven right before serving.

Be sure to check out the full roundup for more wonderful combinations of these 2 ingredients.

Plantain and Queso Fresco Puff Pastry Spirals with Roasted Tomatillo and Parsley Cream


Plantain and Queso Fresco Puff Pastry Spirals with Roasted Tomatillo and Parsley Crema

Spirals
3 tbsp olive oil
2 c plantain, chopped (about 2)
1 c vidalia onion, chopped
3/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp Adobo seasoning salt (or other salt blend)
1 (12 oz) pkg Queso Fresco, grated (Monterey Jack would work well too)
1 pkg puff pastry sheets, thawed

Crema
2 tomatillos, husks removed
1/2 c flat italian parsley leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 tsp Adobo seasoning salt (or other salt blend)
8 oz sour cream

Place a large heavy pot over high heat. Add tomatillos and roast, shaking frequently, until there are brown spots, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. In food processor, process tomatillos and parsley until well pureed. Place in small screen strainer and strain while preparing spirals. Remove puff pastry from package and allow to thaw out at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In large pan, pour in oil and heat over medium high heat. Add plantains and onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add cumin, paprika, and Adobo, and cook until plantain and onion is tender. Remove from pan onto paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Place 1 puff pastry sheet on flour-sprinkled counter. Roll slightly with rolling pin. Place 1/2 of shredded queso fresco on sheet, leaving 1/2 in" border on both long sides and 1 short side. Top with 1/2 of plantain mixture. Starting at end, roll into a spiral, sealing the end with water. Slice into 1" slices and place 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place into oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove to wire racks and cool slightly.

In small bowl, combine tomatillo and parsley puree from strainer to sour cream along with remaining ingredients. Serve warm spirals with crema and enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The PAQFPPSWRTAPC were amazing. I loved the combo of the cool cream with a hint of spice and the warm, melty pastries. Good times; though I feel like there should be some sort of nickname for them. I'll never remember that whole title.

Tara said...

These look absolutely divine! Although I am a sucker for anything with puff pastry in/on/around it. Yum!!

Anonymous said...

sounds really good One question; Did you use green or ripe plantains?

We fry the ripe (Black ripe)plantains and they are sooo sweet

Fiber said...

Tara - I hear you. You could pretty much wrap puff pastry around anything and it would be delicious.

Anon - I use green plantains. Great question!

Vanessa said...

What a surprising dish! I bet it tastes great - sure looks fab!