Monday, April 23, 2007

Asparagus Pesto

I think everyone has that vegetable that they hated as a kid but started to love as they grew up. For me, it was asparagus. I can remember sitting at the table, making "gag eyes" and forcing down bites of it. But somewhere between then and now, it grew into one of my favorite vegetables.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a completely raw diet for about 2 years now, ever since I read about the amazing health benefits. But unfortunately, I just haven't brought myself to that level of dedication yet. I have decided, however, to incorporate as much raw and fresh produce into my diet as possible. Eating raw ensures you get all of the nutrients and minerals, losing nothing to the cooking process.

This is a great "raw" recipe and just in time for quick warm weather dinners. Raw asparagus is loaded with vitamin A and a large percentage of folic acid. This recipe takes about 10 minutes to make, from start to finish, and is perfectly versatile. It can be used as a dip for fresh vegetables or tortilla chips, or toss with your favorite pasta and served hot or cold. It would also make a great spread for a tasty veggie wrap or sandwich. No matter how you eat it, I'm sure you'll love it.

Asparagus Pesto

Asparagus Pesto

3 cloves garlic
1 1/4 c fresh asparagus, diced
1/2 c good quality extra virgin olive oil
1/3 c fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt

In food processor, pulse garlic until well minced. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my - you are so right about asparagus. I hated it growing up, and now? LOVE it! I never thought of using it in a pesto. Yum! Sounds great.

gray la gran said...

i'm really wondering how this will taste .... i'll just have to try it out, as i think the sabor of all your recipes is up my alley.

Anonymous said...

I used it as a dip with tortilla chips last night and could hardly put it down. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I have some asparigi in my fridge and will make this this week. Asparagus is one of my favorites!

Linda said...

this sounds divine. and asparagus is in it's prime now! i must try this tonight! thanks for the recipe. i would never think of these things on my own.

Anonymous said...

Wow - this looks/sounds great. And I have a lovely bunch of asparagus in my fridge just waiting for me. Oh wise Fiber - Is there a lower fat choice to sub for the olive oil, or can I get away with using a smaller amount?

leslie @ definitely not martha said...

This is a really creative use of asparagus! As always, thanks for the inspiration!

Dr. Melissa West said...

Mmmm I love this. Asparagus are one of my favourite veggies too. I hear ya about the raw diet. I too believe in all the health benefits of it... but wow, is it ever a lot of effort to pull off. I just try to get some raw veggies with every meal for now, that is, until I move to California or Hawaii and get a personal chef.

Michelle said...

asparagus wasn't a vegetable i even got to try as a kid.. my family was very "meat and potatoes" with very few other veggies. but asparagus is now one of my most favourites! i've never seen it made into a pesto, that is really intriguing.. copying down the recipe...

Vanessa said...

This sounds great and I'm on the same page adding as much raw stuff to my diet as I can... (mostly this means salads for lunch!)

mrscamacho said...

Ooooh! I just made this tonight, sans cheese, and it is fabulous! I couldn't stop tasting it out of the food processor! Thank you - I never would have thought of this myself. :)