Monday, October 11, 2010

Idiot's Delicious Mushroom Soup

The Internet is a wonderful thing. But it's kinda like a GPS - you sort of become dependent on it and then forget that you actually DO know how to get there.

I just got home from a weekend away (which was glorious, by the way) but came home to a refrigerator full of rapidly expiring veggies. I saw some mushrooms that were just starting to turn to the dark side and thought that a mushroom soup would be fantastic. I really didn't want a heavy cream-based soup, but yet I wanted something with some serious flavor punch.

So what did I do? I started Googling. And then googled some more. And then more. And after looking at the 17th recipe, it hit me - I'm not an idiot! I can easily just make my own recipe. So that's what I did. And so this soup was born.

It's easy, it's delicious, it's warming and filling, and it's flavorful. Is there anything else you want from a soup?? Oh, you wanted quick too? Good, because this recipe takes about 20 minutes, from idea to mouth. So go ahead and give this a try!

Idiot's Delicious Mushroom Soup

Idiot's Delicious Mushroom Soup

Serves 6-8

4 tbsp butter or margarine
2 tbsp olive oil
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (8 oz) pkg sliced baby bella mushrooms
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add olive oil and allow to warm. Add celery, onion, and garlic, and saute for 4-5 minutes, until vegetables start to soften. Add mushrooms, thyme, celery seed, and poultry seasoning. Saute another 3-4 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for another 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender. Serve, and enjoy!

4 comments:

veghead said...

How'd you get it to look so creamy with no "cream"? Did you puree it?

Fiber said...

I did puree it! Thanks for catching the fact that I missed that in the recipe!! =)

dinetonite said...

Wow, its just mouth watering.....

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie said...

Soups are the perfect thing when veggies start to turn south. Last weekend I had a bunch of mushrooms starting to go brown. I sauteed 'em and put 'em in a frittata for Sunday breakfast.

But since our temps have plummetted about 30 degrees in less than a week - soup sounds even better. Thanks for the recipe