Monday, April 04, 2011

Arugula Salad with Fontina Vinaigrette

There's something about the warm weather of Spring that makes me crave salads. And not just any salads, but salads with fresh greens and vinaigrettes that really allow the freshness of the salad to stand out.

I needed a salad to go with a heavier main dish (which will be posted later this week) and at the last minute, grabbed a bag of fresh arugula from the grocery store. I really had no idea what I was going to do with it, but I've always been a huge fan of its peppery bite.

I was using some fontina in the main dish and thought it might make a perfect addition to the vinaigrette. A few other ingredients plus the fontina tossed into the food processor and 5 minutes later, I had the most wonderful vinaigrette. I rounded out the salad with some fresh apple slices and toasted pine nuts.

What a perfect combination of flavors. I can guarantee this salad will show its face many many times over the warm weather season.

Fontina Vinaigrette

Fontina Vinaigrette
1/3 cup grated Fontina cheese
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp fresh lemon zest
2 tbsp tarragon vinegar
Freshly cracked pepper

Salad
4 cups fresh arugula leaves
1/3 cup raw pine nuts
1 apple, cored and thinly sliced

In food processor, add all vinaigrette ingredients. Process for a minute or two, until dressing is well mixed and creamy. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast pine nuts over medium high heat, shaking frequently, until golden brown and toasted. In a large bowl, toss arugula leaves with vinaigrette. Top with apple slices and toasted pine nuts.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Very refreshing dressing! I expect to use this one a lot as the weather gets warmer.