Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Cranberry Jalapeno Spread

You can breathe easy now - I'm back. Finals have been handled, the 30th birthday was a grand success (more on that later), and it feels great to be back in the kitchen. And it's not a shade too soon - the holiday is right around the corner!

I wanted to make something different but I really had no idea what I was looking for. I was digging through my refrigerator when I discovered a bag of cranberries I had picked up on a whim a week or two ago. I didn't want to make the traditional cranberry spread, so I thought I'd try something new.

This spread would work in so many ways. The slight sweetness is accented by the little kick of the jalapeno*. It would be perfect on a bagel with cream cheese or spread over goat cheese on a cracker. If you're of the carnivore variety, this would be perfect for basting a pork roast. Heck, it's good enough to eat by itself by the spoonful! It would also make a great gift for a foodie or keep it all for yourself. No matter how you use it, I can guarantee you'll find it to be a perfect little holiday treat.

*On the 28 Cooks' Hot-O-Meter, this ranks a very low 1 out of 5. If you're looking for more of a punch, add another jalapeno.

Cranberry Jalapeno Spread

Cranberry Jalapeno Spread
Makes 2 cups

1 (12 oz) bag fresh cranberries
1 c brown sugar
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of allspice

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes until thick. Remove from heat and cool. Serve and enjoy!

7 comments:

Hillary said...

What a rich looking spread! I've always wanted to try cranberry jalapeno spread -maybe I'll use your recipe! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This recipe came at a perfect moment! My bookgroup Christmas party is this evening and what with working all day I didn't have much time to prepare anything. I am sure the women in my group will be asking for the recipe and I will tell them about your great website. I plan to serve with softened cream cheese and crackers - easy and festive. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This recipe came at a perfect moment! My bookgroup Christmas party is this evening and what with working all day I didn't have much time to prepare anything. I am sure the women in my group will be asking for the recipe and I will tell them about your great website. I plan to serve with softened cream cheese and crackers - easy and festive. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

12/21/07 11:30PM
Hi Fiber,
So glad you're back! Have to tell you that I made this tonight and it looks just like your photo. Tastes great, but it's still too hot to enjoy. We will be having this Christmas day on the Relish and Cheese tray. Thanks so much.
Bobbi

Rachael said...

Oooh this sounds so interesting! I've been eating at a few fusion sushi joints lately, and seen jalapeno added to an a lot of odd things. it made me feel like jalapeno was underused - it really does have an interesting flavor and such a mild kick. Anyway, I think I'll give this recipe a shot!

Also, welcome back!! I am glad to hear the stress of finals is over - everyone knows how that goes. Enjoy your time off and cook lots of yummy things!!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to tell you. The family loved this on Christmas Eve. It went quite well with our spread of snacks.

My mother says, "Thank you."

Anonymous said...

hi 28. i really love your site. i think your recipes are fantastic, innovative and so darn easy! thanks for sharing so much good stuff!
would it be possible to make the cranberry jalepeneo spread with frozen cranberries? no chance of getting fresh over here.