Monday, June 25, 2007

Warm Cannellini Bean Bruschetta

I'm a huge fan of beans (which works out perfectly for my vegaquarian diet) and I love to find new ways to use them. I was intending to make a cannellini salad and came up with this combination. Although you could easily serve this by itself or as a side dish, it works perfectly over freshly-toasted bread and makes a lovely bruschetta.

I also love that you can easily whip this up in under 15 minutes, and most ingredients are already stocked in your kitchen, which makes it perfect for on-the-spot entertaining.

Warm Cannellini Bean Bruschetta III

Warm Cannellini Bean Bruschetta

2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c red onion, cut into thin wedges
1 c chopped fresh mushrooms
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
3 tbsp white wine (or dry vermouth)
1 (19 oz) can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
1 c cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1/2 c fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

In large pan over medium high heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic, and saute 1 minute. Add mushrooms and saute an additional 3 minutes. Add thyme and wine, bring to a simmer, and cook until wine has evaporated. Stir in beans and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and place into large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and combine well. Serve over freshly toasted bread.

5 comments:

Joan said...

Ican't wait to try this. When my fresh tomatoes come in this will taste so good. Also, it is a beautiful dish.

Joan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bobbisox said...

My tomatoes are dead ripe right now, I will be making this this week. Thank you for this great recipe, perfect for the summer.

wellunderstood said...

i make a roughly similar bruschetta with cannellini and bitter greens, but this seems so much more summery and fresh. Hopefully our local tomatoes will be edible within the next couple of weeks so I can give this a try!

Anonymous said...

I love your self description as a vegaquarian. That's me too. I enjoy your bog. Gald I found it