Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Super Bars

With my busy schedule, even though I try and eat breakfast every morning, there's some mornings that just doesn't happen. If I can't grab it and eat it on the go, then I usually just go without eating. Anytime I can find a quick-to-make, easy-to-grab healthy recipe for a breakfast treat, I'm all about it.*

These awesome granola bars were posted over at Domestic Affair, which is a great blog if you're looking for a wealth of info and recipes on whole foods and holistic nutrition. As soon as I saw this recipe, I immediately began making a list of what I needed from the grocery store. I've changed the recipe a bit, replacing the oil with applesauce and I added some silken tofu for protein.

I was really amazed at how this "very healthy for you" recipe was so tasty. It's perfect for breakfast, or anytime you're looking for a not-too-sweet snack. I also love that it's loaded with whole grains. The recipe is also flexible enough that you can use whatever grains/fruits/seasonings you want, depending on your mood. A bonus - these freeze well, so you can always have them on hand.

Super Bars

Super Bars
3 cups Bob's 7-grain Rolled Oat Mix
1 cup water
1/4 c flax seeds, partially ground (coffee grinder works great)
2 tbsp amaranth
1/2 c oat bran
1/2 whole wheat flour
3/4 c dried fruit (I used a tropical mix with mango, apricot, etc.)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp sea salt
2/3 c pure maple syrup
1/2 c apple sauce (I used an organic apple apricot sauce)
5 oz silken tofu
zest of 2 lemons

Preheat oven to 350. Spread the oats out on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven, stirring occasionally until toasted, about 20 minutes. At the same time, heat water, flax seeds, and amaranth. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine oats and all dry ingredients. In a food processor, process apple sauce and tofu until combined. Add to dry ingredients, along with maple syrup and lemon zest.
Spread in a lightly oiled square baking pan and score into bars. Place into 325 degree oven, and bake 30 minutes until firm to the touch. Cool and then slice. To freeze, individually wrap in foil. Toss into a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes to thaw and enjoy.

*For more quick and healhty breakfast items, try these ginger carrot morning cookies or this Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal.

18 comments:

jae said...

hey lady, thanks for the mention.
you like me, are ever adapting the recipes we find, even if they seem great to start. we should start a club for people like us.

glad you found a good morning whole grain treat.

Almost Vegetarian said...

Looks like a good start to the morning - high in fiber, fruits, and a good addition of tofu. I bet these would be wonderful crumbled into some Greek yoghurt (yoghurt being about the only healthy thing missing!). Cheers.

NWJR said...

That photo looks good enough to eat. You always manage to come up with such great pictures!

bazu said...

Yes! I'm always looking for a bar recipe and this one looks superb! What would be a good substitute for the amaranth? Would whole wheat flour do the trick?

Anonymous said...

Wow - this is great! Although I try hard, I am not a (weekday) breakfast eater and this is perfect! Thanks....

Anonymous said...

Your recipes always look so good! I am always printing them out. I just printed a bunch, starting with these super bars, now I am actually going to start making them! I am carb fasting today for a medical test and am just craving good food and carbs I guess!
Thanks for all the recipes!
Terry

Anonymous said...

I made these last night. I was hoping they would turn out just like your photo. I was a bit disappointed in the results of mine.
I didn't stick to your recipe 100% because I was missing some ingredients. Mine came out quite thin, about 1/2 inch thickness. I used coconut, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds, dried cherries and some dark chocolate chips...not exactly the most low fat combination :)
Were yours moist and chewy? The texture of mine were like Wasa crispbreads...dry and hard.
I will try this again and this time I'll stick to your recipe.

Linda said...

how lovely. these look fantastic -- can't wait to try them. thanks for the recipes! on the topic of quick breakfast recipes - check out SusanV's Carrot muffins, i was shocked at how little time it took me to make them (20 min start to finsh; prep, cooking AND clean-up)!

Anonymous said...

this looks so good, thanks for share!

Anonymous said...

Is it just me whose missing something?When do you add the boiled water and its contents to the rest of the ingredients?Would be nice if u could clarify that.

Sheree' said...

these look wonderful. Thanks for the great tip for breakfast. Love your blog

Fiber said...

Jae - we should start a club. I couldn't tell you the last time I followed a recipe to the T.

Almost Veg - ooh, I bet they would be fabulous with yogurt. Great idea.

Cornelius - why thank you!

Bazu - just leave it out. It's only 2 tbsp.

Chris - these are perfect for an on-the-go breakfast. I've eaten them every morning this week. I also love that they are super filling. I don't have that hour later hunger.

Terry - let me know how they come out!

Joanne - It may also depend on the size pan you use. I used an 8x11 pan, and they were pretty thick when I patted them down. Try using a smaller pan. And I love the idea of using the seeds and nuts, and who wouldn't love dark chocolate in them??? =)

Linda - I'll have to look for them. I love anything quick to make.

Johanna - thanks!!

Marietta - you add that it with the rest of the wet ingredients. Thanks for catching that.

Veg-a-nut - You betcha. And thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

fiber,
what is the shelf life of this bar? i will definately try this weekend.

Anonymous said...

can some one help me out with this site? where do I go to find the nutrition info? I always print the wonderful recipies but need nutrition info.

thanks

Fiber said...

Anon A - I'm not sure. According to the recipe, you can store them in the refridgerator for 4-5 days. If that isn't long enough, freeze them. They freeze wonderfully.

Anon B - Unfortunately, I don't have the specific nutritional info, but rather just try to use the healthiest ingredients possible.

Vilasini said...

wow!! they look great!! i have some applesauce at home and i will try them soon!!!

cheers!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, these are soooooo good! I threw in some coconut, roasted almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds, too. They are ridiculously lovely, even without the maple syrup (maple syrup in Australia is stupidly expensive).

xuuya

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, these are soooooo good! I threw in some coconut, roasted almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds, too. They are ridiculously lovely, even without the maple syrup (maple syrup in Australia is stupidly expensive).

xuuya