Thursday, July 13, 2006

Smoked Mozzarella Eggplant Rolls

You know how your tastes change as you become older? Eggplant was one of those things I hated as a child. It always felt too mushy and had a really bad flavor. Even though my mother was an exceptional cook, there wasn't anything she could do to make eggplant pleasing to my underdeveloped palate.

However, now I adore eggplant. It's got a lovely flavor, and provided you don't overcook it, it has a lovely texture. This is by far one of my favorite appetizers. The smokiness of the mozzarella combined with the fresh tomato and pesto is quite delicious. This is a great appetizer as it can be assembled ahead of time and then reheated when needed.

Sm. Mozz Eggplant Rolls III

Smoked Mozzarella Eggplant Rolls

1 large eggplant
8 slices smoked mozzarella
2 plum tomatoes, cut into 8 thick slices
3 tbsp pesto
Balsamic vinegar and olive oil for drizzling (optional)

Cut eggplant into 10 thin slices, discarding 2 outside pieces. Sprinkle with salt on both sides and set aside. Allow to rest for 20 minutes, then rinse well under cold water to remove salt. Pat dry with paper towels. Heat grill or grill pan on medium high heat. Spray liberally with oil. Grill eggplant slices for 8-10 minutes, flipping once. Remove from heat. Place a slice of mozzarella in the center of each slice. Top with a small dollop of pesto, then place tomato on top. Fold the eggplant over the filling, and place seam side down back on grill(pan). Heat until cheese begins to melt. Serve with drizzled balsamic vinegar and oil if desired, or serve with marinara sauce.

6 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

It looks just fabulous.

S. said...

The eggplant in the pic looks beautiful, along with the oozing mozzarella. I can appreciate the grill marks and the way it sits on the plate. This is edible art!

Anonymous said...

Edible Art indeed, with the accent on edible! Wow, that looks great. And I'm about to use some more of summer's bountiful basil crop!! Hooray!!!

Heather said...

Ummmm....yum.

Catherine said...

Love the picture! So glam and so easy - awesome!

Kalyn Denny said...

I'm featuring this recipe as one of the South Beach Recipes of the Week on my blog. I'm using your photo (with a photo credit for you of course) and a link to the recipe. Please let me know if you have any problem with how I've done this.
Thanks,
Kalyn